Speed dating in bradford west yorkshire
In 1904 the Leeds parish absorbed Beeston, Chapel Allerton, Farnley, Headingley cum Burley and Potternewton from within the borough.In the twentieth century the county borough initiated a series of significant territorial expansions, growing from 21,593 acres (87.38 km In 1912 the parish and county borough of Leeds absorbed Leeds Rural District, consisting of the parishes of Roundhay and Seacroft; and Shadwell, which had been part of Wetherby Rural District.This area formed a metropolitan district in the county of West Yorkshire.It gained both borough and city status and is known as the City of Leeds.The new charter incorporated the entire parish, including all eleven townships, as the Borough of Leeds and withdrew the earlier charter.Improvement commissioners were set up in 1755 for paving, lighting, and cleansing of the main streets, including Briggate and further powers were added in 1790 to improve the water supply.
The city has the third largest jobs total by local authority area with 480,000 in employment and self-employment at the beginning of 2015.
Following the Leeds Waterworks Act of 1867 three reservoirs were built at Lindley Wood, Swinsty and Fewston in the Washburn Valley north of Leeds.
Land south of the river was developed primarily for industry and secondarily for back-to-back workers' dwellings.
It changed from being the appellation of a small manorial borough in the 13th century, through several incarnations, to being the name attached to the present metropolitan borough.
In the 17th and 18th centuries Leeds became a major centre for the production and trading of wool.